When severe weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair expert to check your system after the storm, they can likely provide you with good news that your steps worked.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time might not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are common during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets strewn about during severe weather. Just ensure you have turned the system fully off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a safe place so that they don’t get strewn about during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to head outside, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in West Palm Beach, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other issues that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for bad weather in West Palm Beach or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 561-629-1826 or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.