When severe weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair professional to check your system afterwards, they can probably provide you with good news that your steps worked.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time might not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are common during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets strewn about during severe weather. Just ensure you have turned the system fully off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a secure place so that they don’t get strewn about during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to head outside, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in West Palm Beach, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other concerns that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for severe weather in West Palm Beach or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 561-629-1826 or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.